FAQ For Restaurants

How can I be listed as a restaurant on Food-A-Go-Go?
All restaurants offering takeout, delivery and/or curbside pick-up can participate in this FREE community service. Simply fill out the form with your offerings here: https://foodagogo.org/submit-a-restaurant/

What if my hours of operation or menu offerings change?
Please email all changes to: info@foodagogo.org

How can I become an  Elite Delivery restaurant location?
Food-A-Go-Go is now piloting a home delivery service in partnership with Elite Delivery Services, offering delivery service for 12 locally owned restaurants in two Oahu neighborhoods (Hawaii Kai and Kaimuki.) If successful, we will be opening service to more restaurants and neighborhoods. In the meantime, if you are interested in being considered for delivery through Food-A-Go-Go’s Elite Delivery service, please fill out this form: https://foodagogo.org/elite-delivery-service-request/ 

Can I offer specials and discounts?
Yes, we can list special prices or discounts in a notes section. Please share that information when you submit your form or email us at: info@foodagogo.org

Is it required to offer delivery?
No, you do not need to offer delivery to be listed on Food-A-Go-Go. As long as you offer takeout, curbside pick-up and/or delivery, you can be included in Food-A-Go-Go.

I’m interested in offering delivery service, what services are available?
There are many different delivery services you can partner with in Hawaii. Please contact them directly:

  1. Bite Squad: https://go.bitesquad.com/sales/
  2. DoorDash: https://get.doordash.com
  3. Uber Eats: https://www.ubereats.com/restaurant/en-US/signup

What should I do if we decide to close my restaurant temporarily?
In the unfortunate event that you have to close, please email us at: info@foodagogo.org so we can update the website.

I see that you promote restaurants on your social channels and newsletters, how can I be featured?
Get social with us, we want to engage with you! Tag your posts and stories with #FoodAGoGoHI and @hiagfdn for a chance to be featured on our social channels or newsletters to 10K+ subscribers. You can pick from a couple Food-A-Go-Go gifs for engaging posts, search “foodagogo” in the GIPHY app on Instagram.

How can I support other restaurants during this time?
You can help by sharing the Food-A-Go-Go campaign with friends, family and coworkers. With more shares and restaurant orders, we can make a bigger difference to keep our community going. If you notice any unlisted restaurants, encourage them to submit their information here: https://foodagogo.org/submit-a-restaurant/

How do I handle food safety during COVID-19?
Food safety guidelines during COVID-19 have been addressed by the CDC, USDA, FDA. For more information, please visit:

In addition, the Hawaii State Department of Health has also posted additional guidelines for restaurants regarding COVID-19 their website:

Can I sell alcoholic beverages to-go?
OAHU: Honolulu County Per Honolulu Liquor Commission
In Honolulu County, for any licensee engaged in meal service and who is open for takeout, delivery or consumption, the state law and Honolulu “recorking” rules allow licensees to sell beer, wine, and/or spirits for consumption off the licensed premises if the bottle of wine, beer or spirits has been opened and recorked AND when sold in conjunction with meals prepared for pick up or delivery. It is recommended that any such alcoholic beverages be packaged in a container with a secure lid or cap and in a manner designed to prevent consumption without removal of the lid or cap (e.g. no lids with sipping holes or openings for straws). It is further recommended that any licensee selling such beverages for off-sale consumption shall prominently post the following warning in a manner that puts consumers on notice of limitations regarding open container laws: “Alcoholic beverage that are packaged by this establishment are open containers and may not be transported in a motor vehicle except in the vehicles trunk; or, if there is no trunk, the container may be kept in some other area of the vehicle that is not commonly occupied by the driver or passengers (which does not include a utility compartment or glove compartment). Further, such beverages may not be consumed in public areas or in any other area where open containers are prohibited by law.”

ISLAND OF HAWAII: County of Hawaii Per Department of Liquor Control
For the duration of this crisis, County of Hawaii’s Department of Liquor Control will allow the sale of take-our liquors without having to open, only sealed containers. However, the sale of mixed drinks is prohibited to avoid problems with open container laws.

MAUI: Maui County Per Maui County Liquor Control
Maui County prohibits licensees of ALL sales of alcohol in conjunction with meals prepared for pick up or delivery.

KAUAI: Kauai County Per County of Kauai Liquor Control
Licensees engaged in “to-go” meal service may permit the removal of any factory sealed container of wine or beer that was ordered with the meal. Partially opened or “mixed drinks” containing liquor are not permitted. Licensees are encouraged to caution pick-up customers about “open container” prohibitions, which require the storage of the opened product in the vehicles truck or area of the vehicle not normally occupied by the driver or passengers. (HRS 291-3.3)

Please consult with your respective county liquor commission on current rules and regulations.
Honolulu Liquor Commission
County of Hawaii Liquor Control
Maui County Liquor Control
County of Kauai Liquor Control

For questions or clarification, please contact your local Liquor Commission:
Honolulu Liquor Commission: 808-768-7300
County of Hawaii Liquor Control: East Hawaii 808-961-8218, West Hawaii 808-323-4370
Maui County Liquor Control: 808-243-7558
County of Kauai Liquor Control: 808-241-4966

Resources for Restaurants:

Many of our partners have stepped forward and have contributed to make Food-A-Go-Go possible. Here are a few freelancers that can help you at this time:

Social Media:
Mean Mango Integrated Marketing
Elizabeth Guthrie
Email: liz@lizguthrie.com
Phone: 808-275-7179

Social Media:
Ellis Garcia
Email: ellis@wearewmx.com
Phone: 956-467-3893

Video Production:
Makaha Studios
Keoni Fernandez
Email: kfernandez@makahastudios.com
Phone: 808-216-5567

Website Development:
Library Creative
Chase Conching
Email: chasec@librarycreative.co
Phone: 808-226-3296

Graphic Design:
Digital Illustrations
Mark Ching
Email: mark.ching@digital.idesigns.com
Phone: 808-375-5828

Graphic Design:
Kristin Lipman
Email: kristinlipman@gmail.com
Phone: 808-382-8296

Other Resources for Restaurants

Disaster Assistance U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)

Economic Injury Disaster Loan:
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is providing low-interest disaster loans to help businesses (and homeowners) recover from declared disasters. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, small business owners (that employ less than 500 employees) in all U.S. states, Washington D.C., and territories are eligible to apply for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan advance of up to $10,000. The loan advance will provide economic relief to businesses that are currently experiencing a temporary loss of revenue. Funds will be made available within three days of a successful application, and this loan advance will not have to be repaid. For more information and to apply, visit: https://www.sba.gov/page/disaster-loan-applications

Paycheck Protection Program:
The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) is intended to help small businesses impacted by COVID-19 pandemic by providing loans up to $10 million to cover payroll and other operating expenses. If all employees are kept on payroll for eight weeks, SBA will forgive the portion of the loans used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities. Up to 100 percent of the loan is forgivable. For more information, visit: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/paycheck-protection-program

NOTE:  All banks are offering SBA assistance. Please contact your local banker for more information.

Dining Bond SupportRestaurants.org

Dining Bond is essentially a gift certificate that are sold at a price lower than face value (how much lower is decided by each individual restaurant) but redeemable at face value upon dining at the restaurant. The goal is for the restaurant to sell them for the next 30-days to bring needed income to the restaurants and have them redeemable typically 30-60 days after purchase. This is a free initiative, for more information and to apply, visit: https://supportrestaurants.org